[mythtv-users] PVR 500 possibilities

David George david at thegeorges.us
Wed Dec 5 03:49:33 UTC 2007

On 12/04/2007 10:05 PM, Mickey Chandler wrote:
> It's come time for me to switch back from cable to DirecTV.
> Installation will happen on Thursday and I'm starting my prep for the
> transition now.  One of the issues is moving from a single cable in to
> having two STBs.
>
> One of the things I'd like to do is avoid buying a new TV tuner card.  I
> have a perfectly good PVR-500 that's been working and stable for most of
> a year now.

A PVR-500 works great for capturing from directv receivers.
> The PVR-500 has a cable composite in and RCA in.  What I'm wondering is
> if those are exclusive use (either/or) or if I could use them together
> (one STB with cable into the -500 and the other using the RCA connectors).

They are exclusive (at least right now).  Also, you will want to use
svideo from your directv receivers, not composite (RCA).  You will need
a 4-pin s-video cable and a stereo audio cable (most likely red and
white RCA connectors).  If your PVR-500 doesn't have the second audio
input panel you will need to buy one.  Mine came with it, but there are
probably a couple of places where you can buy one.

You will also need a way to change channels on the receivers.  A lot of
people use serial input.  Search the list archives for specifics, but
dtvcontrol.com has pinouts for the low-speed serial connector.  There is
also a directv3.pl script from pdp8.net (don't have exact links handy
right now or I would include them).   Newer directv receivers have a USB
port on the back.  These will take a pl2303 USB to RS232 adapter and
then use a null modem cable to connect the serial port to your myth
backend.  If you don't have any serial ports you can use a USB to serial
cable on the myth backend also.  Another option is to use an ir
blaster.  There may also be information on the wiki with instructions on
how to do this.

HTH,

--
David