[mythtv-users] Auto transcoding recordings

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Wed Dec 5 01:10:46 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Mitch Gore
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 5:00 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: [mythtv-users] Auto transcoding recordings

Hi,

I have a FE/BE Myth box connected to my antenna that I view HDTV with.  It
works great.  I also have a couple Xbox's with XBMC installed.  They work
great for viewing SDTV/Xvid files but i want a way to view HD files.  yes, i
know the xbox cant play mpeg 2 HD files but here is what i was thinking.

Currently I can transcode the files to mpeg4 with Myth so i can view them on
the Xbox but the negative of this is it remove the orginial HD file.

What I would like to do is outside of Myth convert the files to a high
bitrate Xvid the Xbox can play honoring cutlists/commflags.  Put those is a
separate folder and the use something like mythrename.pl so i can view them
in XBMC videos folder.  Sure I wouldn't be able to watch liveTV but who does
that anyways these days?

Is anyone doing something like this now?  If so how?  If not, where would
you start on getting this to work?

Thanks,
Mitchell

This ubuntu thread should give you the idea. This sets up a user job that
you can use to auto or manually select recordings and export them to the
format of your choice:

<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=346778&highlight=howto+nuvexport>
&highlight=howto+nuvexport

If you're using a different distro, the same idea should work for nuvexport
and user jobs.

-Steve