[mythtv-users] finally got a modeline, now MPEG2 playback = blank screen

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 20:37:12 UTC 2007

On 04/12/2007, Alex Jovovich <s1148625 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I finally broke down and bought a new LCD TV to replace my old CRT. After an
> hour of fiddling, I found a modeline that displays 1360x768 over VGA on my
> TV. The MythTV interface looks incredible at the higher resolution.
>
> When I select "Watch TV," try to view a recorded program, or try to play
> back a homebrew DVD, I get a black screen, the monitor briefly reports a
> 720x400 signal, and then the system is locked. Restarting X doesn't work,
> and the only way to get back up is to ssh in and restart the system. Playing
> back videos in Mplayer works fine. It seems to be an issue with MPEG2 files
> only. All my recorded programs and live TV are recording at native 720x480.
> I don't have an HD tuner - I'm just trying to play SD on my new TV.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas about how I can fix this? Thanks for any help you
> can provide.

Check your mythfrontend logfile output using the playback and file log
options (or run mythfrontend from the shell) and check which MPEG2
decoder you are using - there is standard and libmpeg2.

Are you specifying different resolutions for the MythTV GUI and playback?

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/