[mythtv-users] Matrox G400 still used?

F Peeters (MythTV) francesco at fampeeters.com
Mon Dec 3 09:42:06 UTC 2007

On Mon, December 3, 2007 10:21, Ralph van Etten wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I build a mythtv box with some spare parts I have laying around. I have
> a Matrox G400 and some early Hauppage WinTV card.
>
> I got Matrox TV out working from X (using framebuffer) and playing DVDs
> etc. works perfectly using mplayer with -vo mga or -vo xmga (it bypasses
> X)
>
> However, when watching live tv it is too slow. I guess its because i'm
> using the framebuffer for X and MythTV is drawing the video without
> accelleration using X. (CPU is only at 50%)

Never been able to get it to work satisfactory with my G400-eTV.

> So I was wondering if anybody is still using a G400 and could tell me if
> it works better if I use the drivers from Matrox or the drivers from Xorg.
> Or may I should by a more modern/better supported video card and a
> PVR-350?

Moved to an nVidia mx4 series card and PVR-250, never had a problem since...

My take on it is obvious, I'd say... Get an nVidia geForce card and a
Hauppage PVR-xx0 (250, 350, 500, whatever, as long as you pay attention to
what tuners are on it...)

Good luck!

--
F Peeters
  PC-Chips M863G Geode - NVidia 440 - Hauppauge PVR250