[mythtv-users] Xbox 360 HD-DVD

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Mon Dec 3 07:17:43 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 23:28 -0600, jedi wrote:
>      What HD disc formats are playable under Linux these days? Which
> ones
> aren't (like BD+)? I don't really want to have to buy some win32 app
> so
> I can rip something before adding it to my DVD jukebox.

You can play BD and HD-DVD on Linux, without waiting for a complete rip
or using a windows application.

You need a Java application to read the disk, using a key list. What
that software outputs is directly dumped into mplayer (minimum rc2) and
is displayed on your TV, in real time.

It is not yet possible to automate the process in a script, the java app
is a GUI, but it is quite fast to setup. I'm also confident that this
will en-up pretty rapidly in a proper fashion into a nice player near
you, in an automated way.

mplayer supports vc-1 (wmv9) and h264, once decrypted, very nicely.

Sure, this may be illegal in you country. But if it is, it is not more
illegal than playing DVDs using mplayer, which breaks a protection too.

For the time being I am playing VC-1 rips made outside of my mythtv box,
as it doesn't have an HD format piece of hardware. But it will, the LG
BD/HD-DVD multi-format player in now below $300...