[mythtv-users] What's the point of MythTV HD?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 3 04:51:31 UTC 2007

On 12/02/2007 08:36 PM, Benjamin Carlisle wrote:
> The more I research this change, the more disheartened I become at the
> prospects of using MythTV.  ...  I start to get the sense that
> MythTV no longer suits the needs of a "true" HD watcher.  That is,
> someone who is seeking HD beyond of the realm of the OTA broadcast
> channels such as NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX.

> Can I not legally record these so-called "premium" HD channels using
> MythTV (without significant expense)?  If not, what is the point of
> MythTV in a setup where you WANT those premium channels in HD?  Why
> not just suck it up and pay these jerks their money for the DVR STBs?

After all, when you're dissatisfied with the status quo, the best
possible thing to do is accept it as the only option.  That's definitely
the recipe for changing the world and making it a better place...  ;)

I'm sure as soon as the cable company processes your subscription
(including HD DVR rental), they'll immediately reconsider their stance
on proprietary formats/DRM-ridden video/"our DVR or none"/...  (In other
words, you'll have to decide which is more important to you:  expressing
your dissatisfaction with the lack of HDTV options or getting premium
channels in HDTV.)

Mike "false HD watcher" Dean