[mythtv-users] What's the point of MythTV HD?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Dec 3 02:19:21 UTC 2007

On Dec 2, 2007, at 5:36 PM, Benjamin Carlisle wrote:

> All,
>    I am a longtime MythTV user who is looking to upgrade to HD.  I've
> got Comcast currently (Analog SD) but will most likely be switching to
> Verizon FIOS due to the expanded channel lineup and faster internet
> speeds.  We get plenty of analog channels over cable now (we get TNT,
> Disc, etc., but not HBO and the like), but we want to indulge a little
> bit and get a nice fat HDTV with the same service.
>
> The more I research this change, the more disheartened I become at the
> prospects of using MythTV.  I have scanned through the archives here
> trying to come up with how a new setup would work; STB's and firewire
> and IR blasters and all of that, but I start to get the sense that
> MythTV no longer suits the needs of a "true" HD watcher.  That is,
> someone who is seeking HD beyond of the realm of the OTA broadcast
> channels such as NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX.

I consider myself a "true" HD watcher and only watch all the OTA HD
programming.

> I realize this is not at all the fault of MythTV.  In the US, we are
> victims of irrational controls from lobbying and from lack of
> action/intelligence from the FCC.  And this still seems somewhat fluid
> -- rules are still being defined and reviewed -- but none of it really
> looks in favor of the consumer.  Yes, I could try firewire from the
> STB but sometimes it is not enabled, and sometimes it is encrypted and
> sometimes it works for only certain channels.  Yes, I could get an
> antenna for OTA, but I am *willing to pay* for premium content to get
> the most out of our HDTV.
>
> So I am left with the following question:  If I convert to HD (again,
> beyond the broadcast stations), where exactly does MythTV fit in my
> home media setup?  I enjoy the upgradability, flexibility and
> open-source attitude of this project. I enjoy being able to watch the
> content I pay for without fear of being monitored/controlled/mined,
> how and when I choose.  But when I have to switch back-and-forth
> between MythTV and the STB, depending on the channel I choose and
> whether or not it is "premium" or "non-premium" - well, that seems to
> me to be just plain ridiculous.

I think you already answered your question, but are somehow hoping
you're wrong?

> Let me just confirm the following both for my own knowledge and for
> list posterity:
>
> Can I not legally record these so-called "premium" HD channels using
> MythTV (without significant expense)?  If not, what is the point of
> MythTV in a setup where you WANT those premium channels in HD?  Why
> not just suck it up and pay these jerks their money for the DVR STBs?
> It seems to be to be either:

Depends. See your above statement about "sometimes it is encrypted and
sometimes it works for only certain channels".

> 1) Use MythTV and NOT get these channels *at all*, OR;
> 2) Use their DVR and get these channels, but loose the MythTV.

3) Settle for S-Video output from your STB for premium channels to an
analog capture card. It may surprise you as to how good down-sampled
HD content over s-video looks. Close to DVD quality I would say.

Option 2 will absolutely drive you insane. Everyone I know with an HD
DVR from their cable or satellite company CONSTANTLY complains about
how bad it is. SUPER slow to change channels, misses programs
randomly, very little storage so you have to watch stuff within a
couple of days before it gets deleted. Plus the fact that all the
other non-TV related stuff Myth gives you is gone.

> Someone please, please tell me that I am wrong or that there is a
> smart third option.  I would love to continue using Myth.

If you have a smaller independent cable company in your area (i.e. Not
Time Warner or Comcast), they may not encrypt your firewire channels
at all. Astound does not. They may even be willing to work with you on
it. Hooray for smaller companies and their willingness to work to save
customers.

-Brad