[mythtv-users] pre-setup myth distros

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay at softlog.com.au
Sat Dec 1 00:30:26 UTC 2007

Eric Mesa wrote:
> So, with that disclaimer, may I ask for some opinions on Knoppmyth,
> Mythdora, and Mythbuntu.  Do any of them have certain benefits or
> deficits?

I tried them all recently - KnoppMyth didn't like my mobo :) Mythdora
worked ok.

But I really like MythBuntu:

- good interface for configuring the myth modules (Myth Control Center)
- MythWeather works :)
- all the w32 codecs and libdvdcss can be downloaded and installed with
a simple gui in the Myth Control Center
- same goes for the nvidia drivers (maybe ati as well)
- If you want, prepackaged weekly myth trunk builds are available to use
- You can install the std dev envirnment for building packages - I found
it easy to install the V4L trunk

I don't know if you can DL the myth trunk and compile it yourself -
probably better off just using a std non dedicated linux distro for that
such as Ubuntu or OpenSUSE, I've done it with OpenSUSE.

Hearty thumbs up to MythBuntu from me for ease of install and ability to
play with the bleeding edge.

--
Lindsay