[mythtv-users] MythTV and HD question

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 22:18:16 UTC 2007

On 8/31/07, John Nissley <jnissley at nissley.org> wrote:
> I have been very happy with mythtv so far but have only been using it
> for SD recordings.  From reading I feel I have enough horse power to
> have an HD system but here is my question.
>
> Is it really worth buying one of those cards capable of reading qam when
> most of the cable channels hare scrambled anyway?

<snip>
> Please someone explain to me how I can get out of the SD TV watching and
> into HD and still use my mythtv set up.  By the way I live in Dallas, TX
> and have Time Warner cable.

Do you have a HD STB?  If so, the first thing you should is try
firewire capture; although, others on the list report Time Warner is
not that friendly with its firewire output.

Brad: if you live in SF, you may want to consider getting cable from a
non-Comcast provider.  I am able to get full firewire output for ALL
my channels using the competitor.