[mythtv-users] How to backup progs before upgrade?

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 02:47:11 UTC 2007

> Even better, of course, and what I often do when screwing around with
> complicated setups (and what I've been doing as I've tested things
> with Myth) is to boot single-user and then use dd to copy the entire
> partition to some other partition---or use dd & nc to copy it
> elsewhere on your network.  Then, no matter -how- badly you screw the
> pooch, you know you can slap the partition back and be back in
> business.

System rescue CD at http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page is a fantastic
tool for this. It's a rescue boot disk that includes partimage which
is a graphical interface to allow you to easily backup a partition to
some place and restore it (partimage screenshots at
http://www.partimage.org/Screenshots). This has saved me on countless
occasions where I've tried an upgrade which hasn't worked out and I've
run out of time to resolve the issues before the rest of the family
want MythTV up and running again.