[mythtv-users] PVR500 and Dish

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 20:35:44 UTC 2007

On 8/30/07, Conrad Montlouis <conrad.montlouis at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, the only way is to use the S-Video connection.  I have a USB-UIRT, Is
> there a HOW-TO availaible?
>
> Thanks.
>

> On 8/29/07, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>
> >   On Aug 29, 2007, at 8:29 PM, Darren Richards wrote:
> >
> > On 8/29/07, Conrad Montlouis <conrad.montlouis at gmail.com > wrote:
> > >
> > > I am having problems getting my PVR500 to tune, can someone point me
> > > to a good HOWTO?  So far I have tried splitting the signal (one end going to
> > > the dish receiver and the other to the tuner) and connecting from the
> > > receiver to the tuner.  Thanks for your help!
> >

> > I don't understand what you mean by "splitting the signal"...  If you're
> > using a Dish receiver, then your tuner won't actually do any tuning.  The
> > dish receiver does the tuning, and you should connect the s-video output of
> > the receiver to the s-video input on your capture card.
> >
> > -darren
> >

> > A PVR-500 cannot tune a satellite signal. Your STB has to do the tuning
> > then output to your PVR-500 which needs to be set to channel 3. Then your
> > myth box needs to change channels on the STB (either with an IR blaster or
> > some other method your STB supports like a serial cable), not the capture
> > card.

OK, Conrad, let me take a stab at helping here.  I have Dish (I have the
dish 301 and the dish 501), and I have a PVR 250, which is the smaller
version of the 500...

So...my cable (from my dish) comes off the wall, and into the back of my
Dish box.  Then I take the cable output from the box (which normally would
go straight to the TV) and plug that into the cable in on my PVR 250.  Then
I take the video signal from my GeForce graphics card, plus the audio from
my Audiology, and thus I have composite video to go to my television.  I
have an IR Blaster device (I use the Myblaster) that broadcasts ir signals
to control the dish box and do the actual tuning, and my PVR 250 is always
set to channel 3.  I also use my MyBlaster to control volume/power on my TV,
my Stereo, etc.

Hope this helps a bit.