[mythtv-users] MythPlugins from source problem

Ian Hodgson ian.hodgson at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Aug 30 19:29:25 UTC 2007

I have encountered some problems which seem very similar to the original
post. Firstly, I have installed MythTV and had it working for a few weeks.
As part of the installation, I picked up the PlugIns package with all the
plugins.

Now, as I do not use all of the plugins and with Myth stable and working, it
seemed like a good idea to rebuild with only the plugins that I need. So I
followed the instructions in the manual and ended up with the linker failing
to find with "-lmyth-0.20.2".

Having read through the thread, I can confirm that I have the Myth libraries
in /usr/lib...

libmyth-0.20.so
libmyth-0.20.so.0
libmyth-0.20.so.0.20
libmyth-0.20.so.0.20.0
...etc...

I therefore edited /etc/ld.so.conf to put /usr/lib on the linker search
path. "ldconfig -p | grep myth" would seem to show that it is working as I
have among other libraries, 'libmythtv-0.20.so' & 'libmythtv-0.20.so.0'
listed.

Nevertheless, a 'make' of the plugins still returns an error...
"/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmyth-0.20.2"

I think that all the pieces are in place, but it would seem that the linker
is looking for a different library to the one that I have. Just for 'fun', I
tried editing the Makefile in /mythdvd/mtd and changed the "-lmyth-0.20.2"
to "-lmythtv-0.20" and the link succeeded with 'lmythtv', but of course
failed on the next library.

Any ideas on how to resolve this would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Ian.