[mythtv-users] PVR500 and Dish

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Aug 30 03:36:25 UTC 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 8:29 PM, Darren Richards wrote:

> On 8/29/07, Conrad Montlouis <conrad.montlouis at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am having problems getting my PVR500 to tune, can someone point
> me to a good HOWTO?  So far I have tried splitting the signal (one
> end going to the dish receiver and the other to the tuner) and
> connecting from the receiver to the tuner.  Thanks for your help!
>

> I don't understand what you mean by "splitting the signal"...  If
> you're using a Dish receiver, then your tuner won't actually do any
> tuning.  The dish receiver does the tuning, and you should connect
> the s-video output of the receiver to the s-video input on your
> capture card.
>
> -darren

A PVR-500 cannot tune a satellite signal. Your STB has to do the
tuning then output to your PVR-500 which needs to be set to channel
3. Then your myth box needs to change channels on the STB (either
with an IR blaster or some other method your STB supports like a
serial cable), not the capture card.