[mythtv-users] Dead motherboard

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Aug 29 13:22:17 UTC 2007

Chris Nicholls wrote:
> The motherboard on my Myth systen died so I replaced it with another
> one, not the same (no longer available). The system starts to boot, as
> in loading kernel, (so it can find the right drive to boot off) but then
> says, Unable to access resume device (Label=SWAP-sda3)
> mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
> setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
> setuproot: error mounting /proc No such file or directory
> etc
>
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempting to kill init!
>
> The old motherboard was an ASUS and the new one is a gigabyte with an
> nvidia chipset
>
> Any pointers on were to start would help a lot

Sounds like it might be finding /boot but not the root partition (/) or
anything else.

The drive (or its data) might have been damaged when your old mobo died.
If you have access to another system you could mount the drive and check
that the required partitions are there, and perhaps even repair them.

You might also try booting the machine from one of the live CDs, then
looking at the contents of the drive. If you can read the /boot
partition, check grub.conf (assuming you're using grub) to see what the
root partition wants to be.

There are several problems you can get into when changing mobos, but you
should be able to read the drive partitions. It sounds like you have the
drive on the correct IDE bus or you wouldn't get as far as you are getting.

I suspect you will have to do a re-install.

BEWW