[mythtv-users] irsend crashing lircd

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Wed Aug 29 03:18:25 UTC 2007

Jeremy Gillick wrote:
> Here's the log information from /var/log/lircd:
>
> Aug 28 19:33:22 mythtv lircd: lircd(serial) ready
> Aug 28 19:33:29 mythtv lircd: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
> Aug 28 19:33:29 mythtv lircd: could not get file information for /dev/lirc/0
> Aug 28 19:33:29 mythtv lircd: default_init(): No such file or directory
> Aug 28 19:33:29 mythtv lircd: caught signal
>
> After upgrading linux I did recompile lirc.
>
> On 8/28/07, Jeremy Gillick <jeremymailing at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I recently upgraded to the latest Ubuntu and linux versions, and of course
>> this means that everything breaks. :o)
>>
>> My current problem is with irsend, it seems to crash lircd:
>>
>> $ /etc/init.d/lirc start
>> Starting lirc daemon
>> $ irsend -d /dev/lircd SEND_ONCE dish2 5
>>
>> # All good so far, until I try to use it again.
>>
>> $ irsend -d /dev/lircd SEND_ONCE dish2 5
>> irsend: could not connect to socket
>> irsend: Connection refused
>>

>> Any thoughts?  I'm using a homebrew serial IR module, that shares the same
>> serial port as the IR receiver.  This configuration was working great, until
>> I upgraded.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jeremy

Does /dev/lirc/0 exist?  If so, who owns it and what are its permission?

I ran into a similar problem recently on my FC6 desktop.  It turned out
I had some lirc RPMS for FC4 that seemed to be interfering.  Once I
removed them I was good.

I see you re-compiled lirc, so you don't have package issues, but my
offending RPM was for the /etc/udev/rules.d/lirc.rules file, so you may
want to look into that.  (I think Ubuntu uses udev, anyway)  Do you get
any udev errors when your machine boots?