[mythtv-users] Installing Mythtv 0.20.2 and Fedora 7 2.6.22 kernel

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Tue Aug 28 21:13:45 UTC 2007

On Monday 27 August 2007 08:07:43 am David Dotson wrote:
> OK, I used to have Mythtv 0.20 running great on FC6, and a hard drive
> failure forced me to upgrade to Fedora 7 and Mythtv 0.20.
>
> Here are my questions, and from searching it looks like there is a lot
> of conflicting information which I've been struggling with.
>
> I have a PVR-350, but because I can't get the TV-OUT working like I did
> in the past on Fedora 7, so I'm going to use my nvidia geforce 6200 card
> for TV-OUT through its S-VIDEO.

i use an nvidia 7300 and pvr-350 without tv out.

> I've read that ivtv is included in the 2.6.22 kernel, does that mean
> there are no packages to install for the PVR-350 (unless I want to use
> TV-OUT, which I don't). Do I just need to install the firmware, nothing,
> anything?

i do not need the ivtv-kmdl package that i used to use from atrpms, the
built-in kernel one works.

> If ivtv is included in the kernel, do I need any modprobe changes
> specific to the ivtv software, I've added the nvidia drivers already.

not sure what your modprobe.conf looks like.  i changed nothing and it works
like a charm.  i even have selinux enofrcing, which prevents the "firmware"
from loading right now, but it seems to have no effect whatsoever on my
recordings.

> I'm at the point now of reinstalling mythtv, and I have a clean and
> operational Fedora 7 installation, but it doesn't recognize any video
> devices yet, so I assume there is some ivtv setup to do yet.

my modprobe.conf:

# # Make pcHDTV HD-5500 analog audio the secondary sound card
options cx88-alsa index=1
# # Make pcHDTV HD-5500 analog video /dev/video1 and /dev/vbi1
options cx8800 video_nr=1 vbi_nr=1
# # Install LIRC kernel modules
alias char-major-61 lirc_mceusb2
# # Install ivtv kernel modules
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
# # Install nVidia kernel module
options cx88-alsa index=1
options snd cards_limit=8
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel index=0
alias snd-card-1 cx88-alsa
options cx88-alsa index=1
# nvidia kernel module
alias char-major-195 nvidia-100_14_11
alias nvidia nvidia-100_14_11

--
Anthony -  http://messinet.com - http://messinet.com/~amessina/gallery
8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E