[mythtv-users] Fans and cooling

jack snodgrass mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 19:09:36 UTC 2007

On 8/28/07, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 02:05:20PM -0400, John Drescher wrote:
> > > In general, fans should blow *onto* the components they're cooling, as
> > > power supply fans do (they cool *the power supply*).  CPU fans are the
> > > exception (they suck air through the heatsink), and occasionally those
> > > case fans right next to the CPU fan.
> > >
> > Not all or possibly even most as I have built over 100 computers
> > between home and work in the last 10 years and I can not remember one
> > that does it that way. Well I guess the slot processors did it that
> > way.
>
> See my other posting; I wrote that before lunch.  :-)
>
> > My cpu fans blow in fresh air to the cpu and the exaust is out the
> > sides. I just verified that (paper test) is definitely the case with
> > AMD Retail CPUs and Thermaltake Silent K8 heatsinks.
>
> Yep.
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra
> --
> Jay R. Ashworth                   Baylink                      jra at baylink.com
> Designer                     The Things I Think                       RFC 2100
> Ashworth & Associates     http://baylink.pitas.com                     '87 e24
> St Petersburg FL USA      http://photo.imageinc.us             +1 727 647 1274

nothing to do with 'fans' but one thing to think about with cooling in general
is the number of harddrives you have up and spinning. I reduced the
noise and heat in my office greatly by getting down to 2 hard drives up
24/7 instead of 10. I still have 12 drives... but 10 of them are used as
needed and spin down / go to sleep when not....  makes a GREAT
difference.

jack