[mythtv-users] Slow Myth with DNS problems

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 28 17:09:06 UTC 2007

>From: "Joe Ripley"
>
>On 8/28/07, Lee McLaren <lmclaren at lrm.com.au> wrote:
> > I also note that it is slower to log onto the backend via ssh if DNS is
> > not working, say a 30 second wait before the username prompt.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
>I'm not exactly sure how MythTV handles DNS lookups, but I can
>understand why SSH takes so long when your name resolution is down.
>Most SSH servers are configured to reverse-lookup the clients that
>connect to them for logging purposes.  If DNS is down, this process
>will have to timeout before you receive the login prompt...
>
>Perhaps Myth is attempting to do reverse-lookups as well?

It could possibly be mysql attempting a reverse look-up as well I suppose.

In any case, if somethings trying to do so, it may well be that, when the
Internet DNS is working, it's simply failing the look-up of the LAN address
immediately, but when the Internet/DNS is down, it's taking a long time to
timeout.

I'd try adding all you LAN host names and ip addresses to /etc/hosts on the
myth boxes.

Tom