[mythtv-users] Cable and terrestial cards same time at MythTV?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Aug 27 17:52:31 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 18:17 +0300, Henri Paasovaara wrote:
> Hello MythTV'ers
>
> I have been running MythTV for several years for now and recently I got
> cable into my house. I added DVB-C card with existing DVB-T because our
> cable-tv company is sending also dvb-t stream on three muxes. So all "wrong"
> tuners will work  (that's Welho HTV in Helsinki, Fi). I decided to keep
> my existing DVB-T tuner on my MythTV box so I don't need to buy another DVB-C.
>
> I was able to find terrestial and cable channels with dvb scan -program. Also
> tzap and czap worked very well. Then I started to add channels to MythTV.
> Tuning DVB0 and DVB1 on mythtv-setup was quite successful (somehow). Channels
> appeared on mythconverg database with minor problems. Hand-editing some "auto"
> values fixed most of the problems. But:
>
> MythTV is not able to use both cards at same time! DVB-T card is being
> tuned with DVB-C data on EIT scan. And when trying to watch live-tv I can't
> change card input.
> Then I were checking mythconverg database and dtv_multiplex table. There is
> sourceid which is always 1. There is no difference if frequency is for T or C
> card so how MythTV will recognice which card it should use?
> I tried to changfe sourceid to 0 for DVB-C card (that is DVB0 device)
> and kept sourceid 1 for DVB-T. But it didn't help. If sourceid was zero
> then channel was not tuned (for EIT scan) at all.
>
> So - how can I get DVB-T and DVB-C cards working with MythTV? Or did I
> broke something when modifying database by hand?

Well a sourceid of '0' the sentinel for "does not exist" in MythTV,
it should be 1,2,3,etc. Also each card needs to be connected to its
own source because they are different types of cards. A separate
dtv_multiplex is created for each channel on each source, if you try
to refer to the same dtv_multiplex row in channel rows on two
different video sources this will break things badly.

It's hard to know what went wrong because you touched the database and
used an external channel scanning program, either one could have broken
things. Generally it is a good idea to use MythTV's channel scanner,
and failing that use the channels.conf import in MythTV to import the
channels.

-- Daniel