[mythtv-users] Need "xorg.conf" Modeline for Samsung LN-S4695D

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Mon Aug 27 14:13:43 UTC 2007

Just Gags wrote:

> > Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 23:09:49 -0400
> > From: Rich.West at wesmo.com
> > To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> > Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Need "xorg.conf" Modeline for Samsung
> LN-S4695D
> >
> > Just Gags wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am trying to configure Xorg to properly output a high-definition
> > > widescreen display for my Samsung LN-S4695D 46" LCD TV.
> > >
> > > The problem I'm running into is that I seem to be unable to properly
> > > pull EDID data down from the television, so I'm going to need to
> > > manually configure a Modeline to display... and after much research
> > > I've been unable to determine one that will properly work.
> > >
> > > Ideally, I would like this output to display in 720p (as my video
> card
> > > is a low-power fanless card). But a Modeline for 1080p (for testing
> > > purposes) would be greatly appreciated as well.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure what other information I need to give, but any help with
> > > this issue would be hugely appreciated.
> >

> > How is your TV connected to the computer, and what video card are
> you using?
> The television is connected from the VGA port on the computer the the
> VGA port on the television. The video card is an nVidia GeForce 6200.
>
> Thanks!

You may want to make sure that your TV can display 720p/1080p via VGA.
In most cases, it can, but some (like some plasmas) do a _slightly_
different resolution when going over VGA (aka: PC Input) vs. HDMI,
component, etc.

Anyhow, I thought I put this in a wiki entry, but in looking back, it
doesn't look like I did.

Here's what I have for my (much smaller) TV connected via VGA displaying
at 720p.  This uses the built-in nvidia modelines for displaying
standard-signal 1080p/720p/480p which should get picked up properly by
the TV.  This might work for you...

-Rich

-----
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Panasonic FLM-3232"
        ModelName    "Proview FLM-3232"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "XFX"
        BoardName   "XFX nVidia GeForce 6200"
        Option      "RenderAccel" "1"
        Option      "NvAGP" "2"
        Option      "NoLogo" "true"
        Option      "UseEvents" "True"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                #In order, the Modes represent       1080p
720p            480p
                #Modes    "1920x1080_60" "1280x720_60" "720x480_60"
                Modes    "1280x720_60" "720x480_60"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"