[mythtv-users] Database Upgrade Questions

makalu at ansae.com makalu at ansae.com
Mon Aug 27 11:47:16 UTC 2007

I'd like to clarify a couple points about preserving my mythtv db while
upgrading from 0.18.

First, I assume that I do not want to follow the instructions for setting up
the initial db, particularly running the script mc.sql, because that would
blow away my existing data. Yes?

Second, I see from the UPGRADE readme that mythtv will upgrade old schemas
automatically (at least from 0.10 or 0.11). When does this happen? During
the "make install" or during mythfilldatabase? I.e., do I want to run
mythfilldatabase after I do make install?

Separately, I have a question about moving my old data to a fresh db. I
think I'm going to just upgrade mythtv while leaving my system as-is even
though it's old (FC3). However, if I did want to build a new system, I'm not
sure how to properly migrate the data from my version 0.18 database.
Specifically, if I start by making a sql dump of my old database, then built
a new system and created a new database with the latest mc.sql script from
the 0.20 tarball, wouldn't that create a version of the db schema that might
not be compatible with the dump I made of the 0.18 db? Instead, should I go
to svn to get the version of the mc.sql script for the 0.18 release to
create an initial db compatible with my sql dump? Then the mythtv install
could upgrade it to the 0.20 schema.