[mythtv-users] Upgrading to .20.0.2 using source

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sun Aug 26 20:06:57 UTC 2007

On Aug 26, 2007, at 5:25 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 08/25/2007 03:05 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:
>> On Aug 25, 2007, at 10:14 AM, Axel Thimm wrote:
>>
>>> Why did you need to install lirc from source? Do the lirc packages
>>> need some love (which you could give them? :)
>>>
>> I usually install lirc from source because it's much easier to set up
>> that way.  The packages I've seen don't include the menu-driven
>> configuration script.
>
> As that's just a compile-type configuration script, why is that
> useful?

Because it identifies the correct driver and creates the lircd.conf
file for me, instead of requiring me to set everything up by hand.
Also, often the packages don't have all the drivers available, or
it's not clear which driver corresponds to a particular remote.  I
don't know if it's still true, but for a long time the SuSE lircd
packages would only respond to network requests -- they had no actual
remote drivers compiled in at all.