[mythtv-users] Working AC3 passthrough

Johan Heikkilä johan.heikkila at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 17:10:17 UTC 2007

Thanks to the archive of this great mailing list, I finally got AC3
pass through working. I've been running MythTV for a couple of years
now, but never figured out how to get AC3 pass through working with
the Internal player (DVB-C and DVD) to SPDIF. I didn't care much,
because Mplayer and Xine have worked just fine (my sound card is an
internal Terratech Aureon 5.1 PCI).

Almost by coincidence, I wanted to try to use the Internal player
(I've been running SVN for a long time) and I found out that I had to
set the pass through device to:

OK, it is not perfect. When using time stretch, my external amp looses
some of the channels (the AC3 indication goes off). But you can't have

Thanks for sharing knowledge on this list!