[mythtv-users] Is VIA chipset bad for mythTV?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Aug 24 16:26:10 UTC 2007

On Aug 24, 2007, at 9:11 AM, Rich West wrote:

> Brad Patterson wrote:
>> I thought I have read before that people say to stay away from mobos
>> with Via chipsets for mythtv usage.  I just wanted to
>> doublecheck if this is true, as I am currently saving up some cash
>> for
>> new hardware for a new myth box.
>>
>> Any recommendations or info are appreciated.  Thanks!!
>

> I've heard the same, but I haven't had problems.

Same here.  I wonder if part of it is because so many vendors build
VIA motherboards -- some of the cheaper ones are probably shoddy
designs.  I've been pretty loyal to Shuttle and I've never had the
DMA problems that some people blame on VIA.

That said, Intel motherboards are really nice.  They're also quite
expensive, and for some odd reason they don't support AMD CPUs. ;)

I tend to shy away from NVIDIA motherboard chipsets because there
have been so many problems with the ethernet drivers for them.  The
"forcedeth" driver seems to not be particularly stable, probably
because it's reverse-engineered instead of based on a chipset spec.