[mythtv-users] Is VIA chipset bad for mythTV?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Aug 24 16:24:02 UTC 2007

Calvin Dodge wrote:
> On 8/24/07, Brad Patterson <bpatterson at espec.com> wrote:
>>  I thought I have read before that people say to stay away from mobos with
>> Via chipsets for mythtv usage.  I just wanted to
>
> Via chipsets have a well-deserved reputation for instability, and
> problems with high disk I/O.
>
> My personal preference is to get an Intel-based motherboard when using
> an Intel CPU, and Nvidia or ATI chipsets if using an AMD CPU.

Particular chipsets are dodgy. I have two mobos with the 760GX chipset which run
W2K perfectly but just don't get on with Linux (of any persuasion: believe me I
tried). Expensive mistake, followed by another one - I replaced it with an
ATI-based board.

However I also have two Mini-ITX boards which, while non-Myth, both run Linux
without any kind of problem. Other people run frontends on Mini-ITX. YMMV.

Mike Perkins