[mythtv-users] Louder TV

Alastair Kerr alastair.kerr at ed.ac.uk
Fri Aug 24 11:44:28 UTC 2007

dropax wrote:
>> Joe Ripley wrote:
>>> Stupid question, I know, but are you sure you're using the amplified
>>> output on your sound card?  Most sound cards and onboard sound devices
>>> have an speaker output as well as a line-level output.  It's possible
>>> you're using the line-level output instead of the speaker output.
>>> Do sounds other than Myth recordings play at a higher volume (i.e. CD
>>> audio)?  Perhaps it's (as you say) specific to the levels being
>>> recorded by your tuner.
>> VLC doesn't seem to have this problem.. Its not totally silent, just a
>> bit quiet (and watchable) but as its already at 100% I cant turn it up
>> in the quiet bits, or if there is some noise around, without finding the
>> TV remote..
>> As im prone to doing noob like things I have also just checked and its
>> plugged in to the headphone socket (also tried in the front headphones
>> socket to same effect)
> Any chance this is a Dell Optiplex?  I struggled for weeks before I
> discovered that their on-board audio has line-out only, and it's a lower
> level than most component audio equipment.  Seems they expected
> amplified speakers to be the only use.
 Try turning off (disabling) the OS based audio mixer and just use it in
MythTV  (this worked for me in Kubuntu)

Alastair Kerr, Ph.D.,
Bioinformatician, Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology,
2.21, Michael Swann Building, Kings buildings,
The University of Edinburgh,
Edinburgh, EH9 3JR, UK
Tel: 44-(0)131-650-7527