[mythtv-users] Hardware for HD Playback

Norm Dugas normdugas at yahoo.ca
Thu Aug 23 18:22:46 UTC 2007

Mark Lehrer wrote:
>> thinking of upgrading my hardware as well to support HD recording and
>> play back.  I'm looking for some recommendations  as to MB, CPU, Memory
>> and Video Card.  I will eventually have 1 master backend/frontend and 2+
>> frontends.  I've looked at the hardware databases on the web but none
>>

> I went with the first generally available dual core CPU - an Athlon x2
> 3800.  It was perhaps the best upgrade I have ever made (from a 3500+).
> Hi Def started working beautifully.
>
> I think you will be OK with anything dual core, and a decent built-in
> NVidia chip.  Mine is a 6150 and it is fine with 720p output, bob
> deinterlacing from 1080i.  If I were going to start over I would get
> 2G of RAM and a pchdtv.com 5500 capture card.
>
> Do NOT try to skimp on the CPU and get a non-dual-core CPU.  Even
> hyperthreading would be a mistake IMO.
>
> Mark

FWIW, I've been running a FE/BE box for nearly 2 years with HD
playback.  Same system that I set up originally:
- Athlon XP 2500
- 1G Ram
- GeForce FX 5500
- Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
- PVR-350
- Firewire

The video card drives an LCD TV at 720p via VGA.  The important part is
to get a video card that supports XvMC.  ATI doesn't, Nvidia does.

Just thought I'd trow that out there.  I don't see myself upgrading
anything on this system anytime soon.  I can record from both my PVR-350
and firewire while watching an HD recording with no stuttering.

Norm