[mythtv-users] Louder TV

Martin Turner xmode at westnet.com.au
Thu Aug 23 01:10:11 UTC 2007

Joe Ripley wrote:
> On 8/22/07, Martin Turner <xmode at westnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Hi MythList,
>>
>> Does anyone know of a way to make the audio louder in myth? I have both
>> Myth and alsa (via alsamixer) set to 100% but the sound level is still
>> quite a but lower than that of the analog signal coming in to my TV. I'm
>> assuming its just the cap cards I have recording at a slightly lower
>> level, but I have no way of turning it up any more than it already is..
>> It kinda makes the myth volume controls useless on my system as turning
>> it to 75% makes it silent, and it wont get any louder than it already is
>> (unless I turn my TV all the way up, but then I pop my eardrums when I
>> turn the thing on because the volume on non-myth TV is so loud)..
>>

> Stupid question, I know, but are you sure you're using the amplified
> output on your sound card?  Most sound cards and onboard sound devices
> have an speaker output as well as a line-level output.  It's possible
> you're using the line-level output instead of the speaker output.
>
> Do sounds other than Myth recordings play at a higher volume (i.e. CD
> audio)?  Perhaps it's (as you say) specific to the levels being
> recorded by your tuner.

VLC doesn't seem to have this problem.. Its not totally silent, just a
bit quiet (and watchable) but as its already at 100% I cant turn it up
in the quiet bits, or if there is some noise around, without finding the
TV remote..

As im prone to doing noob like things I have also just checked and its
plugged in to the headphone socket (also tried in the front headphones
socket to same effect)