[mythtv-users] Linux MCE

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 22:25:24 UTC 2007

On 8/22/07, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/22/07, Mike Dodge <dmikester1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone here used Linux MCE?  I guess it is MythTV bundled and configured
> > with Ubuntu and some other things.  Looks amazing.  Any testimonies?
>
> search the list archives.  it has come up a couple times in the past
> month with both positive and negative reviews.  overall consensus was
> that it has great potential for a Myth Distro, but to get all
> functionality advertised you have to use the same hardware the distro
> maintainer uses...

Pretty much the same response, with some added personal response:

Good potential, great piece of potential to bring Linux closer to
"mainstream".  IMHO no way it compares to Standalone MythTV due to
it's bulkiness.  I purchased both hardware it's "supposed" to work on,
and hardware that other's have "tweaked" it to work on, and neither is
a cut and dry installation/setup from the point of a novice.  I am
quite comfortable with Linux and still had a good share of problems
that are considerably difficult to work around.  Without a good
knowledge of how the core functionality (the DCERouter) works,
ultimately you are in the hands of the community (which is growing
quickly, but is still relatively infant).

So, effort, looks and potential = 10
Usability, current-stability = 4
Learning curve is WAY to high (along with the stability issues) for me
to consider it as a home automation option right now.  MisterHouse is
far more stable and reliable as well as easy-to-setup/easy-to-use and
as such a much more "desirable" solution for me.

All of that with a tiny grain of salt...

-Chad