[mythtv-users] New (for schedulesdirect.org) binaries for Mandriva...?

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 22 21:19:02 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:

>>> Will the source tarball downloads be updated?
>>>
>> Why not use the appropriate SVN branch/tag to check it out?  (Note
>> that
>> I'm not saying the tarballs won't be updated--I'm just wondering why
>> anyone uses them.)
>>

> I'd guess two reasons:
>
> - Unfamiliarity with SVN.  I use it almost every day, but most people
> who don't do software development don't, so it's something new they
> have to learn.
>
> - A desire for a stable target.  The SVN trunk branch changes
> constantly and sometimes breaks.  With a tarball you know you're
> getting something that other people are using, which leads to more
> confidence that it will actually work.  (Yeah, I know you don't have
> to download trunk.  But I don't know if there's a stable branch that
> includes SD yet, and selecting a branch adds yet another layer of
> complexity for people who aren't familiar with SVN.)

The -fixes branch of SVN is the stable branch and YES it does include
support. The tarball is simply a snapshot of -fixes on a given date.
Personally I would rather have any fixes applied after that date too so
if you can download a tarball and compile it, you can easily check out a
svn branch and compile it.

Its a shame that the docs make it seem like -fixes should only be for
the "gifted" when IMHO anyone who plays in linux should be able to
compile from source.

Bill