[mythtv-users] upnp (was: Re: XBMC port to Linux and Mythtv)

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Aug 22 10:48:22 UTC 2007

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007, Bill Williamson wrote:

> super-perfect world, mythbackend would be a uPnP server with either

In my understanding an uPnP server needs to be on the same IP subnet as
the client requesting data from it, which makes it very badly suited for
anything but intra-building use (I find that very limiting as I like to
put fileservers outside my home).

If someone can provide information to the contrary, I'd very much
appreciate it.

If this indeed is true, uPnP file server protocol should be avoided as it
limits more extensive content sharing between nodes that are
geographically separated.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se