[mythtv-users] Myth RPMs for Fedora Core 5

Jake Vickers jake at v2gnu.com
Wed Aug 22 10:26:01 UTC 2007

Phill Edwards wrote:
>> How about RHEL5/CentOS5/SL5 which will allow you to have decent mythtv
>> suport over several years w/o upgrading the whole system? :)
>>

> I saw CentOS5 mentioned on the list recently and asked why people were
> giving such good feedback about it but got no reply. What is it about
> Centos that gets you out of the Fedora upgrade merry-go-round? Surely
> it has to be updated just like Fedora does?

It gets updates just like Fedora.  It's a repackaged RHEL5 system with
different logos, to put it simply.  It will have the same EOL as RHEL5.
The kernel was optimized for server environments, so not all of the
hardware is ready to go out of the box.  But once you get it working,
it's a rock solid OS, being designed for the enterprise environment.  It
gets package updates like any other OS, but for a Myth box do you really
need them?  I installed Ubuntu and then installed Myth and have never
done an update.  If it's not broke...