[mythtv-users] Frequent backend crashing

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 03:26:35 UTC 2007

On 22/08/07, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:

Please don't hijack threads.

> When trying to use aplay i get:
>
> [myth at mythtv sounds]$ aplay select.wav
> Playing WAVE 'select.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono
> [myth at mythtv sounds]$ aplay -D spdif select.wav
> Playing WAVE 'select.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono
> aplay: set_params:905: Channels count non available
> [myth at mythtv sounds]$ aplay -D digital select.wav
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2145:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM digital
> aplay: main:545: audio open error: No such file or directory
> [myth at mythtv sounds]$ aplay -D analog select.wav
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2145:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM analog
> aplay: main:545: audio open error: No such file or directory
> [myth at mythtv sounds]$
>

> What am i missing?

You are missing PCM devices called 'digital' and 'analog'. The output
of 'aplay -L' will list the recognised PCM devices on your system (and
spdif will be one of them).

You may also require handling of non-48kHz sampling rates if you are
trying to play non-48kHz material through an S/PDIF port that expects
it (although I have read that FC6+ includes this facility as default
and does not require the use of the rate plugin as detailed in the
digital sound HOWTO on the wiki).

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki: