[mythtv-users] so where can I buy a Cablecard Set Top Box

Mark A. Hoover mahoover at ispaceonline.org
Mon Aug 20 21:48:12 UTC 2007

> From: David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us>
>
> On Aug 20, 2007, at 10:07 AM, Meatwad wrote:
>> If it were up to the CableCo's they'd rent cablecards to anyone (along
>> with a HD subscription). The cabal of content producers is responsible
>> for the current lack of open access. This is by design of course.
>
> I'm not so sure the cable companies are eager for this.  They make
> quite a bit of money off cable box rentals.  They fought the
> CableCard mandate pretty hard, claiming it would drive up the cost of
> cable boxes.

In my area they seem to lose a little bit on the pricing, but I'm sure
they gain from not having to maintain all those receiver boxes....

Digital Receiver with remote  	$5.50/mo.*
Digital Video Recorder (DVR) Receiver with remote 	$5.50/mo.
HD Receiver with remote 	$5.50/mo.
HD/DVR Receiver with remote 	$5.50/mo.
CableCARD device rental*  	$1.99/mo.