[mythtv-users] Is there a tuner limit? (problem with >8 tuners)

Chris Wilkie - NetrinoUK chris at netrino.co.uk
Mon Aug 20 11:32:11 UTC 2007

Hi All

I've been pointed here by the chaps on the MythDora forum, hoping to
gain some advice on getting a box working with 12 tuners (6 x Nova-T 500
dual tuner PCI cards).  I am able to get the first four cards working,
giving 8 tuners, but the last two throw errors when trying to load the
driver.

For the first four cards I get:

kernel: dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T' in cold
state, will try to load a firmware
kernel: dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-dib0700-01.fw'
kernel: dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T' in warm
state.
kernel: dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the
software demuxer.
kernel: dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the
software demuxer.
kernel: dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T successfully
initialized and connected.

They work fine, and I am able to make 8 simultaneous recordings.
However, for the last two I get:

kernel: dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T' in cold
state, will try to load a firmware
kernel: dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-dib0700-01.fw'
kernel: dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T' in warm
state.
kernel: dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the
software demuxer.
kernel: dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T error while loading
driver (-23)

The obvious difference, other than the 'error while loading driver' is
that for the first four cards the 'will pass..' line appears twice,
whereas for the second two it only appears once.  All cards are
identical, and setup is a vanilla MythDora configuration, so settings
for all cards should be the same.  In /dev/dvb I see entries for 8
adaptors, which I assume is one per tuner.

Now, 8 seems to be a convenient number to stop working on, so I'm
wondering if this is a limitation in the driver?  Or (hopefully) there
is a tweak that needs to be done to allow this many tuners to be used.
Surely I'm not the only one mad enough to run that many tuners in a
single box?

FYI, hardware is an HP DL720 with 8x Xeon CPUs and 16GB RAM.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Wilkie
NetrinoUK Group
( :: 020 7670 1670
3 :: 020 7670 1677
+ :: chris at netrino.co.uk

NetrinoUK Ltd :: Registered in England & Wales no. 4546088.
This e-mail may contain information which is legally privileged. It is
intended to be read by the addressee only. If this e-mail has been
received in error, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail.
If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose,
distribute, copy, or print this e-mail and all copies should be deleted.
NetrinoUK Limited will not be responsible for any act or failure to act
on any information contained in this message without written
confirmation of its contents by a company director.