[mythtv-users] Comcast limits firewire channels?

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 20 09:41:09 UTC 2007

Andy Alsup wrote:
> I'm in Seattle and I've been using Comcast and 6200 with firewire for
> 2 years or so.
>
> I recently noticed that my recordings of NBC and FOX HD channels had
> stopped working.  After looking into it, the channels themselves show
> 5c is copy free, but when capturing the output on the firewire port,
> the output data is not MPEG2 TS.  I'm not sure what it is, but its not
> video.
>
> My ATSC enabled TV has no trouble tuning the same channels, so
> whatever this problem is, its just the STB thats affected.
>
> This change corresponded to the "new" guide update that Comcast did recently.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone else has recently lost the firewire ability on
> a few channels.  Is there something besides 5c thats being turned on?
> Maybe the new STB updates just broke stuff.
>
> I saw 1 or 2 comments on AVSforums about this, but no more information
> that what I described above.
>
> Any thoughts?

Since its only a couple of popular shows I would say that its an attempt
to keep you from recording those shows. I never did see them allowing
you to record from firewire so its not surprising to me. Expect to see
more of it once they are sure its working. What to do about it? Get a
card that does atsc/qam and get rid of the cable box. The cable company
sees the switch to all digital as an opportunity to "secure" their
network, ie- keep you from watching anything other than their rental STB.