[mythtv-users] OT: Help selecting PCI SATA card

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 03:46:47 UTC 2007

On 8/4/07, Harry Orenstein <holists at verizon.net> wrote:
> This is definitely off topic for this list, but I think that this is a good
> place to ask, so...
> I have a MB (Asus A7V8X-X) that does not have SATA ports and only supports PCI
> cards.  I want to add storage to be able to keep more recorded programs, so I
> bought a 500GB SATA HD.  The question is, what is the best SATA chipset for
> PCI?  My choices are either a no-name SIL3112 card, a no-name VIA6421 card or
> a Promise S150-TX2plus.

The best way to figure out which card to use is by chipset.

The Silicon Image 3124 looks like one of the best supported chipsets
you can get, including Port Multiplier Support in the 2.6.23
timeframe; 5 drives on each SATA connector.  Just make sure the
chipset is supported by the linux SATA drivers and you are good to go.
 For example this one:

Might be interesting, though it is a little bit expensive.