[mythtv-users] DEBUGGING INFO: Kernel message out of nowhere

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Sat Aug 18 19:13:14 UTC 2007

On Sat, August 18, 2007 12:03 pm, Andy Burns wrote:
> On 18/08/2007 19:46, Lan Barnes wrote:
>
>> I would also encourage all us users to NOT respond so it doesn't turn
>> into
>> a useless noise thread.
>
> As far as I can see, it's already noise, because it's a crash caught in
> the kernel (and a tainted one at that) rather than myth, further looks
> like it was bash within one of your SSH sessions that caused it.

A rather harsh judgement, considering any crash report shows some effort
to be of help, but I'll shine it on as either unintended or a personality
thing.

Curious that bash/ssh would choose to do that on a myth machine having
never done that previously in years of use on any of my other FC/RH boxes.
But obviously I passed this on because I'm not qualified to assess it.

BTW, I was too sanguine in reporting that all was well. Myth FE is frozen
on xena, and (as you might expect from your analysis of the crash), I can
ping but I can't ssh in to do a clean shutdown.

I'll leave it up a little longer in case anyone suggests a worthwhile
experiment in this condition and then do a cold boot.

Hmm ... and maybe I'll try to ssh from a different box (unlikely to work)
and to run a remote FE (might tell me if the BE is still OK).

--
Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer