[mythtv-users] Compiling on Ubuntu Feisty - Thankyou
brucen at ksl.com.au
Fri Aug 17 00:38:31 UTC 2007
William Munson wrote:
> Bruce Nordstrand wrote:
>> William Munson wrote:
>>> Bruce Nordstrand wrote:
>>>> Thanks to all that replied on my issues with compiling on Ubuntu Feisty.
>>>> All is working now (to a point) with a few niggly issues.
>>>> I did cheat somewhat and first installed the package version to get all
>>>> the desktop stuff, auto login, auto start etc in place, then went ahead
>>>> and compiled from source. I then moved all the package generated files
>>>> out of the way and changed all the calls to my new compiled version.
>>>> Everything Myth wise is working nicely. Once i get my remote back to how
>>>> I want it and kill off the screensaver I will be extra happy.
>>>> Thanks again
>>> Not sure what you mean about changing the links. The process you should
>>> have followed is as follows:
>>> Uninstall the package version with your package remover.
>>> Compile the svn with ./configure --prefix=/usr <your options>
>>> Do a make install to install the new version.
>>> Configure themes with the same prefix. Do make/make install.
>>> Configure plugins with same prefix plus your options.
>>> Do make/make install.
>>> Restart the backend and any frontends and you should be running svn. You
>>> will need to manually install mythweb. Read the docs.
>> Hi Bill
>> That is what I did originally and it royally screwed everything up in a
>> big way. Don't really know what the packages put where but deinstalling
>> the mythfiles dragged alot of other things out of the mix.
>> This time round I got everything working first via packages, then
>> compiled. Before doing anything else, I moved all the package files to
>> different obscure directories, modified files like ld.so.conf, redid
>> ldconfig etc and double-triple checked the location of every myth
>> related file. Once I was sure that there was absolutely no chance of the
>> make stage finding anything it shouldn't, I shut down the backend and
>> frontend, then went ahead with the rest of the compile steps. Once that
>> finished I modified the startup scripts to point to my new files,
>> pressed the button and everything came up with the new version. Did the
>> same with the plugins and themes.
>> I know this was a strange way to do things but I needed to do it fast
>> inbetween recording schedules or my wife would have killed me and fed me
>> to the dogs. If I get a lull in whats going on and I can learn more
>> about desktops etc, I will do yet another install which will be done the
>> "right" way.
> Unless I dont understand what you are doing it would appear that you
> compiled your plugins against the 0.20 release rather than SVN. Did you
> install mythtv before compiling your plugins or after? If after, just
> recompile them against the installed svn code and your issues should go
I know I have done this a strange way but it has all worked out in the
end. Everything has been compiled against SVN as it was a quickfire
install of SVN due to time restraints. Before I did any "make" steps on
mythtv I did the file moving thing. Once that was up and running I then
moved to myththemes to get it looking right. Once happy, I compiled the
plugins and all went surprisingly well (for me doing a compile install!)
The "issues" I speak of are more related to getting things back how they
were. The remote for example had a customised lircrc and it is just a
case of redoing the standard-ish one. The screensaver is a throwback
from the package install which is a little different than my Edgy
install in as much as I cannot open a terminal like I could before. I
now have VNC running so will work on the screensaver today.
Bottom line is that SWMBO is very happy with this install as it works a
little better than all the ones I have done. With her happy, my life is
so much easier :)
More information about the mythtv-users