[mythtv-users] DirecTV Notes

David George david at thegeorges.us
Thu Aug 16 14:01:59 UTC 2007

On 08/16/2007 02:02 AM, Rod Roark wrote:
> Just wanted to share my recent experiences, frustrations and solutions regarding
> MythTV with DirecTV, as that may help some folks.  This was also posted to the
> KnoppMyth "tips" forum.

<snip hardware info>
> I installed KnoppMyth R5F1, initially with no listings grabber as I was
> anticipating creating my own, and didn't have a solution yet for changing
> channels on my RCA DRD435RH satellite receiver.  I put in one dummy channel for
> testing purposes.
>
> Since I had no channel changing solution yet, I needed to give Myth a
> channel-changing executable that will make it happy while doing nothing.
> Putting my vast programming skills to work, I accomplished the task with this
> shell script which I installed as /usr/local/bin/changedummy:

Did you search the list archives for directv or drd435rh?  I have the
same receivers working on mythtv for about the last 4 years.  Made my
own cable from dtvcontrol.com like you already found.  Originally I used
the rca_control.pl script but when I added a d12-300 to the mix I
changed to the directv3.pl script here:
http://www.mit.edu/~je18337/directv/directv3.pl .  For the RCA box use
'/usr/local/bin/directv3.pl l box_type RCA port /dev/ttyS0.  Change the
port to whatever serial port you are using.  Here is an old archived
page that I need to seriously update, but there may be useful info in
there for you: http://thegeorges.us/mythtv/directv.html .

<snip stuff about pvr-350 output that I can't help with, and stuff about
labs.zap2it>
> Now I was feeling more confident that MythTV would work for me.  It was time to
> move on to a proper channel changing solution.  For that, I made a cable as
> described at dtvcontrol.com, and tried running /usr/local/bin/d10control.pl with
> various arguments from the command line (accessed via ssh from another machine).
>
> Alas, it didn't work.  Tried reversing the cable connections, still no luck.
See above.

--
David