[mythtv-users] Using USB to change channels on cable box?

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Wed Aug 15 23:06:14 UTC 2007

On 8/16/07, Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote:
> Christopher Robbins wrote:
> >
> > I've got a Scientific Atlanta 3250 (non-HD) cable box...It's got a
> > USB port or two.  Is there any way to control the box via USB?  I've
>
> There is one USB port on the front that does recognize numbers,
> Enter and ESC from a USB keyboard. If you plug a keyboard in
> you will see that you can change channels with it although I
> don't know if it supports any other remote control keys. So,
> it could be used but I don't know if a USB crossover cable or
> serial to USB or whatever could be connected and I don't know
> if any software exists that could send keycodes out to a remote
> USB device. If you come up with a solution, post it here.

USB is a host/device arrangement, unlike firewire.  A simple crossover
cable would not work.  (this is also why you cannot "share" a usb
printer with 2 computers using a usb "hub").

You'd need to build a device that had 2 USB "devices".  One plugs into
the myth, one into the cable box, and then you have somesmall chip to
do commands.

Short version is you can't just hook up 2 USB hosts and send signals/data.