[mythtv-users] Mythvideo: Internal Player, mplayer or Xine which is prefered?

Jon Boehm boehm100 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 15 18:30:31 UTC 2007

I'm using .20-fixed svn

DVD: I abandon Internal because it would often glitch exactly at a
chapter change point.  I use xine for dvds because of its dvd-nav
capabilities.  Still xine is not 100%.  I see the occasional very slight
glitch durring slow panning shot.

Here is the command I use
/usr/bin/xine -pfhq -D --no-splash dvd:/

Video:  As already mentioned, Internal has seek problems with prefect
ripped dvds.  Its even worse under .20-fixed.  ~60sec into a movie it
starts to HORRIBLY pixelate and the audio gets out of sync. A jump back
fixes the issue.  I didn't have patience for that so I switched to
mplayer with a mplayer-resumer.pl wrapper.  Mplayer-resumer.pl remembers
the exit location for resuming the video.  The only complaint I have
with this setup is some times its slow to load.  I think its doing some
page swapping or something.

Here is the command I use:
/usr/local/bin/mplayer-resumer-fixed.pl -display :0.0 -stop-xscreensaver
-monitoraspect 16:9 -fs -ao alsa -afm hwac3 -aid 128 -zoom -vo xv "$1"

Good luck,
Jon