[mythtv-users] Un-watchable Mythtv

James Fidell james at fidell.co.uk
Tue Aug 14 22:48:04 UTC 2007

jphughes at optonline.net wrote:
> I recently installed Myth TV on Fedora 7 updated to 2.6.22.1-41
> FC7 kernel. Hardware is  a Intel Pentium 4 2.88Ghrz processor with an Nvidia 5200 video card connected to a Samsung SyncMaster 20 inch LCD monitor via DVI. Running Nvidia driver version 100.14.111. I am using two Hauppauge cards a 250 and a 150 connected to SD cable box and direct cable.
>
> When viewing TV or recorded TV  the picture is very jerky and  looks like everything is running in fast forward mode,  the crawl on sports and news channels runs very fast and is blurry. I have read through many threads and have tired a variety of settings and changes to no avail. So I have come here to ask your help.   Thanks

I don't think F7 configures the X server to load the "extmod" module by
default.  Playback on my newly installed front-end was very poor until
I added that.  I too had a tough time working my way through all of the
possible options for configuring Nvidia cards.  In /etc/X11/xorg.conf I
now have:

  Section "Module"
    Load           "extmod"
    Load           "glx"
  EndSection

  Section "Extensions"
    Option         "XVideo" "Enable"
  EndSection

and in the "Screen" section I've added:

    Option         "UseEvents" "yes"

I've also enabled XvMC (I built from source and used the flags
"--enable-xvmc --enable-opengl-vsync" for configure) and created a file
/etc/X11/XvMCConfig containing:

  libXvMCNVIDIA.so.100.14.11

(I'm using the latest Nvidia closed source driver.  The name of the
shared object will be different if you're using a different one.)

I'd try the xorg.conf changes first though, then change one thing at a
time from there if you still need to.

It's fair to point out that I don't really know what I'm doing here, so
my suggestions may be sub-optimal.  I just kept changing things until I
got rid of the jerkiness in playback.

James