[mythtv-users] Hauppauge Win TV HVR USB Stick

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Aug 13 22:43:01 UTC 2007

On Aug 13, 2007, at 3:39 PM, mlists wrote:

>> I considered getting one those for a third tuner too. but I'd
>> avoid that
>> product for a number of reasons.
>>
>> 1) It has an ATSC tuner, which is VSB modulation.  Almost every cable
>> company (and all that have cablecard) use QAM modulation.  That means
>> you can't tune any digital channel off cable.
>>
>> 2) The NTSC tuner is a frame grabber.  It does not have an MPEG2
>> encoder
>> on it, so you'll have to software encode.
>>

> More research has led me to take a hard look at the HD Homerun box
> -- it
> seems to do all I want and more.
>
> Any comments on that device?
>
> Norm

There have been issues in the past getting it to scan channels within
MythTV, but I believe they have been resolved. This list has
generated a lot of activity about the hardware and most of it is very
positive. I can't think of any shortcomings off the top of my head. I
know people who use it just to view OTA HD content with VLC and love
it, as well.