[mythtv-users] Recording/playing back same file via NFS

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Mon Aug 13 21:52:27 UTC 2007

> different recordings. Therefore, I have ruled out bandwidth as an
> issue. The problem comes is when I try to view something that's
> currently being recorded. It happen with both LiveTV and scheduled
> recordings. It happens when I'm near the live TV point or if I start
> watching something nearing the end of the recording. I get rather
> frequent pauses in the video so that it is unwatchable. Like every
> 3-5 seconds. This is even with the master backend recording SD and

I had a similar problem (though not quite as frequent).  In my case,
the write cache would fill up and write out every 30 seconds, freezing
the video for an absolutely unbearable couple of seconds.

Take a look at the config values /proc/sys/vm/dirty*

If I remember correctly, I just had to turn the centisecs down so it
wouldn't wait so long to write out the cache.  I'm sorry, power is out
at my house or I could shell in and see the exact values I'm using -
let me know if you're interested and I'll dig them up in a few hours.

Once you find values you like, you can put them in /etc/sysctl.conf.

Good luck,
Mark