[mythtv-users] Recording/playing back same file via NFS

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Aug 13 15:45:23 UTC 2007

On Aug 13, 2007, at 8:32 AM, David Campbell wrote:

> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> As far as the network question is concerned, both machines have
>> internet-accessible static IP addresses and DNS entries (with
>> appropriate security measures), but they are both plugged into the
>> same megabit switch. Right now I'm recording SD on the master and SD
>> on the slave, plus transcoding two SD programs on the master. I
>> started up a file copy from the master to the slave and scp tells me
>> I'm getting 22MB/sec and top says this:
>> Cpu(s): 41.2%us, 13.3%sy, 27.6%ni,  0.0%id,  6.3%wa,  3.3%hi,  8.3%
>> si,  0.0%st
>>
>> I knew there was a reason I put so much money into these boxes. :)
>
> 0% idle isn't good ...

It's expected when I've got 2 transcode jobs running. They are nice'd
to use up whatever CPU is left over after doing all the other
important stuff.

> If you press 1 in top does it show other cores with free cpu?

This box is a single core AMD 64 3800+. My dual-core AMD 64 4400+ did
the same thing when that was the master backend. It would use up both
cores for transcode jobs, but I never had even the slightest delay in
doing anything else on the box.