[mythtv-users] ANSWER: Can only connect to mysql as localhost

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Aug 13 03:19:53 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:
> R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> Then I think you will find that the wildcards work. And localhost will
>> work if you have the '127.0.0.1 localhost' line in /etc/hosts.
>
> There's a subtle gotcha here, though, because when connecting to the
> local host, MySQL sometimes uses a UNIX socket, not TCP/IP.  This is the
> method that matches 'user at localhost' entries.  Also, the most specific
> entry wins out if there's more than one that matches.

True and not so subtle when it bites. It was unclear which box was
running the mysql server. If it is the BE/FE then 'user at localhost' will
only fail on either a bad user or bad password. But usually the local
box is called by user and *name* and if not resolved, will fail with an
error message which is a little misleading.

Geoff