[mythtv-users] ANSWER: Can only connect to mysql as localhost

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 23:09:50 UTC 2007

On 12/08/07, Lan Barnes <lan at falleagle.net> wrote:

> On Sun, August 12, 2007 2:55 pm, Nick Morrott wrote:
> > Finally, in one of my posts from last week I posted my current mysql
> > user table which included wildcard addresses for both network name and
> > IP, so I am surprised that is still not working for you. I do run a
> > local DNS on my home network, but apart from making it simple to add
> > new machines to the network and add machine aliases, this should not
> > stop things from working. Which version of mysqld are you running?
> >

> Just the way it worked. I've seen so many syntaxes by now: "%", "_",
> x.x.x.0/255.255.255.0, use the quotes, don't use the quotes ... if they
> all worked, I wouldn't have had to post. But they all apparently worked
> for someone somewhere sometime.

You probably want to bookmark the 'correct' way for future reference -
in my experience you use the % wildcard, and use quotes. If in doubt,
always refer to the manual for your particular DBMS. Of course, it
always works if you do it correctly!

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/grant.html

Also, be aware that MySQL user accounts are not the same as your
system's user accounts.

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki: