[mythtv-users] Can only connect to mysql as localhost

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Sun Aug 12 15:01:33 UTC 2007

Added both to the my.cnf in the FE/BE server, not the FE clients (I
figured the "restart" instruction indicated that).

Results interleaved

On Sun, August 12, 2007 7:43 am, David Campbell wrote:
> Lan Barnes wrote:
>> stuff
> add
> port = 3306 to /etc/my.cnf under [mysqld]
> restart mysql

Restarted but failed. This on the client:

[lbarnes at gypsy ~]$ mysql -h xena -u mythtv -p mythconverg
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'gypsy' (using
password: YES)

So the client (gypsy) is still looking for a local connection even though
the "-h xena" flag is in the command and xena is in /etc/hosts (my home
network is too small to justify DNS -- is that a problem here?).

Remembering that one client box (hendriena) is connecting just fine, and
the BE (xena) and another client (gypsy) are failing to connect to the IP
address, I say again that I suspect the server mysqld is doing the right
thing, but something about the config of these machines is telling client
programs, local or distant, to go local only.

> If that fails to amke the service available from the other server also add
> bind-address            = mainipofserver
> and restart again

This just timed out on the restart and had to be commented out:

[root at xena lbarnes]# /sbin/service mysqld restart
Stopping MySQL:                                            [  OK  ]
Timeout error occurred trying to start MySQL Daemon.
Starting MySQL:                                            [FAILED]

> Dave

Just to be complete, I'll try those lines in gypsy's my.cnf. FWIW, mysqld
is not running on gypsy, so there can be no restart.

Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer