[mythtv-users] 3-D UI for Myth, PNP installation, new LinuxMCE

Justin Hornsby justin.hornsby at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 05:10:45 UTC 2007

LinuxMCE has singularly THE worst UI of any OSS project I've seen in a
long, long time.

The credo of the '10 foot interface' seems to have fallen completely
by the wayside.

I do not want to have to navigate submenu after submenu and have them
all onscreen at the same time.

In all honesty, to see that people *want* the linuxmce UI concerns me.
 Sure MythTV's UI could do with some extra 'bling' but this is going
too far.  In fact, there's nothing about the linuxmce UI I find
appealing in the slightest, either aesthetically or functionally.

MythTV is easy to navigate (arguably not so much if you want to find a
'buried' setup feature). How linuxmce is improving WAF I just can't
see.  The plethora of menu items onscreen looks *bewildering* at first
glance, and it is that impression you'll find hard to shift.

I'm positive that with a gyroscopically controlled remote, linuxmce
makes navigation very much faster, but what about those folks who
aren't prepared to shell out $$$ on a new remote?

I'm trying hard to see something positive about linuxmce I really am,
but so far I'm far from convinced it'd be a step in the right
direction from the point of view of UI design.

--
Justin Hornsby
Creator of ProjectGrayhem, blootube and neon-wide themes for MythTV